Decrease Text SizeIncrease Text Size

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Long Term Care


Facilities and Amenities  |  Safety & Security  |  Food & Nutrition  |  Medical Care  |  Assistive Devices  |  Programs  |  Committees  |  Volunteers  |  Donations


Facilities and Amenities

What types of accommodation are offered in the Home?

We offer three types of accommodation for Residents, including

  1. Private - one bed in a room with its own bathroom

  2. Semi-Private - may be either one bed in a room with a shared bathroom or a room with two beds with a shared bathroom

  3. Basic/ Standard - two or more beds in a room with a shared bathroom

Do you have accommodations for couples?

Yes, we have accommodations that are suitable for couples. Couples who would like to live together should discuss their request prior to admission with the local Community Care Access Centre and the Home.

Can I bring my pet to live with me in the Long Term Care Home?

You cannot bring your pet to live with you. However, your pet may visit you in the Home as long as all vaccinations are in order and the pet is on leash or contained. Talk to the Director of Program Support & Volunteer Services to learn about conditions that apply for pet visiting.

Can Residents bring items from their home?

Yes, each Resident is welcome to bring in items from home such as plants, television, computer, phone, etc. You may also bring personal items such as paintings, artwork, gifts and other memorabilia. A small chest or easy chair may fit if space permits. We will need to ensure that the personal articles are appropriate for the room before they are brought in to ensure that staff are able to access the Resident easily at all times and that any electrical items are approved by the Canadian Standards Association.

If I am a smoker, can I be a Resident?

Yes, you can. There is no restriction on individuals who smoke related to ‘living’ in the long term care Home. However, the Home is a completely ‘smoke free’ environment with only one designated outdoor smoking space on the property at a distance from the Home that meets the requirements of the law but is unsafe for Residents to access without assistance or supervision which is not provided. The nicotine patch program is offered to Residents when needed for smoking cessation.


Can a resident in a home be evicted if their behaviour becomes disruptive?

The legislation does not allow a Resident to be evicted from a long term care home. However, if a Resident has behaviours that present a risk to him/her or others, the Home may work with the family and other health care providers to access a more appropriate health care organization in accordance with the legislation.


Is there a family room or other lounge that families may pre-book for private family gatherings and parties?

Yes, the Home has an auditorium and other areas that may be pre-booked for private gatherings or parties. Residents/families may reserve a common area for special events such as birthday/anniversary parties, family celebrations, open houses, etc. free of charge. Bookings for special events can be made through the Administration Office three - four weeks prior to the event. All bookings for available common areas are on a first-come first-served basis. An Events Booking Agreement must be agreed to and signed by Resident/families/SDM/POA regarding procedures.

As well, request forms are also available from the Administration Office for Residents/families who request special services such as refreshments, food, decorations, chairs, tables, dishes, staffing, etc., on a fee for service basis which would be determined by numbers attending. No “open flames” or “lighted candles” are allowed in the Home or adjacent surrounding gardens at anytime.

Is parking available at the Home for families to visit?

Yes, limited free parking in the centre lot directly in front of the Home is open to family and friends to park for the duration of their visit. Sometimes there will not be any parking spots available for brief periods. That is just the way it is. Please do not park in the “Reserved” parking spaces, or block access to or around the building. There is no parking allowed on either Brooks Street or Baldwin Lane. Available parking for special gatherings is not guaranteed.

When moving into a location, is assistance available?

Staff can provide assistance such as moving items upon arrival to the Home. In addition, maintenance staff will be available to assist with room décor and a safety check of all electrical appliances.

What are the cleaning services provided in the Home?

Cleaning services are provided in accordance with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Standards. The frequency and procedures are supportive of infection prevention and control practices. In general, the housekeeping staff work 7 days/week, but there are limited cleaning services provided during the evening hours.

Is personal laundry service provided in the Home and on the weekends?

Yes, the Home provides laundry service 7 days a week. During admission an Environmental Services staff member will label the Resident’s personal items as they are being unpacked. These items will then be hung in the closet/wardrobe or put into the drawers after they have been labelled.

Is there an extra fee for personal laundry service?

No, laundry service is offered for all Residents in the Home free of charge as is minor mending. Major mending and dry cleaning is on a fee for service basis.

How much clothing is recommended each resident have at their disposal?

We recommend that Residents have sufficient seasonal clothing for seven days or 8-12 full sets of clothing. We also recommend that off season clothing be stored off site as storage is limited.

Does the personal laundry service also include ironing or minor alterations and repairs?

Minor mending e.g. replacing buttons, repairing hems on dresses and pants, repairing small holes and tears may be provided free of charge. No ironing is available. Major mending and dry cleaning is on a fee for service basis or arranged by the family/or Substitute Decision Maker.

Can a family do personal laundry for their family member?

Yes, families that wish to provide their own laundry service should speak with the Charge Nurse on the Resident’s home area regarding this request to ensure that signs are posted and articles of clothing are not mistakenly sent to the Home’s laundry.

Will Residents be able to access banking services in the Home?

Yes, upon admission, a Comfort Trust Account is established for a new Resident with the IOOF Homes Finance Department from which they are able to withdraw funds. Deposits and withdrawals from available funds may be made at the Administration Office during normal business hours (Monday to Friday, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.).

What items can or should my relative bring when moving in?

We work closely with residents and families to help residents feel welcome and at home. Families are encouraged to provide pictures and memorabilia on day one. Personalizing a Resident’s space is important. However, chairs, dressers and other furnishings must be pre-approved by the Resident Care Management team based on the Resident’s care requirements and the available space in the room. Therefore, families are encouraged to bring approved furniture items to the room only after the care requirements are established by the care team.

Is there anything I need to know about visiting a family member in a home?

We encourage open visiting during day and evening hours. There are no set visiting hours. When visiting, please respect the rights of others for peaceful enjoyment. Visiting may be restricted at the request of a Resident. Visiting may also be restricted during an outbreak.

What are the visiting hours?

There are no formal visiting hours for the Home. All exterior doors are locked at 9:00 p.m. every evening for added security. However if necessary, a procedure is in place so that you can gain after hours access in an urgent situation.

Safety & Security


What plans or procedures are in place for evacuation of people in homes during a crisis or an emergency?

The LTC Home has a comprehensive Fire Safety Plan, approved by the Barrie Fire Department, and an Emergency Preparedness Plan (EPP) in place that are tested regularly. Staff are trained in emergency response and participate in regularly scheduled drills. Should the fire alarm sound when you are visiting in the Home, please follow the instructions as posted on the back door of each Resident room and instructions from our staff. During a fire alarm all controlled electromagnetic door locks release and remain unlocked during the alarm to help ensure Resident safety.

Are the homes equipped with sprinklers?

Yes, the Home has fire alarm and sprinkler systems in place. Most of the LTC Home is sprinklered but one section of the Home remains to be retrofitted with sprinklers which will be done within the Ministry timeframe requirements by 2025.

How often are fire drills conducted?

In compliance with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care requirements, fire drills are conducted once on each shift per month, for a total of three drills per month. A combination of full drills and partial (silent) drills are conducted to ensure staff is well rehearsed in the event of an actual fire situation. A number of EP Plan exercises are also planned and conducted each year.

Why do some doors have keypads?

The Home uses keypads and door access control systems for the safety of Residents who may be at risk of wandering. The access codes are changed periodically and efforts will be made to advise visitors in advance, but please contact the Home if you are unsure about access codes.

What happens if there is an outbreak in a home?

Should an outbreak take place, the Home immediately implements outbreak management procedures. Doctors and the care team collaborate with experts at Simcoe County Public Health to plan the best way to resolve the outbreak as quickly as possible. Depending on the nature of the outbreak, visitors may be restricted. Sometimes the whole Home is restricted from visitors and on other occasions, it may be specific home areas that are restricted. The Home will contact key family members by telephone message; post information for visitors on the main sign TV at the entrance to the property; in or near the Home’s lobby area, and on the web site banner.


Food and Nutrition

How many meals and snacks are offered to residents each day?

Residents are provided with three (3) well-balanced meals per day, as well as nourishments (fluids) between meals and snacks in the afternoon and evening.

Are meals at set times?

Breakfast, lunch and supper are offered at set times. Options exist for residents who like to sleep later and enjoy a relaxed breakfast but this should be discussed with the Charge Nurse.

Can my family member eat in their room instead of the dining room?

Residents are encouraged have meals in the dining room. In certain circumstances such as ill health, the care team may determine that Resident needs are better met by receiving the meal on a tray and eating in their room or other locations.

May I bring food from home or a restaurant to my resident?

We support and encourage friends and family who can contribute to the Resident's nutrition and quality of life by providing familiar, favourite foods that may not be available on the Home's menu.

To ensure the health and wellbeing of our Residents, we encourage you to be familiar with and to follow safe food handling practices as set out by Simcoe County Public Health and any therapeutic dietary conditions as established by the Home’s care team. For more information on any dietary restrictions and food handling, please speak with the Director of |Food Services or the Registered Dietitian.

The following procedure should be followed:

  • Resident’s family or friends are to notify the Food Service department.

  • The foods that family are purchasing and bringing into the Home should have an expiry date on them.

    Foods made at home should be dated with preparation and expiry dates.

  • Foods brought in by family members for parties should be for the Resident only.

  • Food to be shared with all Residents (ex. Birthday cake) must be purchased through the Food Services department.

  • Prior to resident family members or friends bringing food from home into the Home that is not for a special occasion consultation with the Food Service department (Director of Food Service and/or Food Service Coordinator) is required. This information should be communicated to the Food Service Department.

  • All food brought in must comply with the Resident’s prescribed therapeutic diet and texture order.

Where can I get a copy of the menu for the Home?

You can obtain a sample of the food menu from our web site or speak to the Director of Food Services in the Home for information.

Is the menu available for Residents?

Yes, the weekly and daily menu is posted outside of each dining room for all Residents to view.

Will it be possible to accommodate my family member’s nutritional requirements in the Home?

Yes, we are able to meet many food requirements for Residents who require for example a vegetarian, diabetic, gluten restriction or lactose restricted diet. The Registered Dietitian will complete a full nutritional assessment within the first 21 days after admission for all Residents, including input from the Resident and family. Nutritional reviews are completed quarterly after admission, and whenever there is a change in the Resident’s health status.

Does the Home have a registered dietitian on staff?

We employ a registered dietitian on contract who visits and works on a part-time basis in the Home. The dietitian in collaboration with the Director of Food Services plans menus, conducts nutritional assessments, manages nutritional care, reviews Residents' nutritional status and plans the Home's overall nutritional programs.

Can a family member eat with a Resident?

Yes, family and friends are welcome to join Residents for a meal. To arrange for a guest meal, contact the main kitchen at 728-2389 Ext. 340. Meal tickets can be purchased at the Administration Office (Monday to Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). Please make reservations two hours before meal times. Weekend visitors must purchase meal tickets in advance for use on the weekend.

How much does the meal ticket cost?

Current set prices.
Guest meal prices:

Lunch: $6.50

Dinner: $7.50

Medical Care

Can I provide my own nurse for my family member?

No, you may not provide your own nurse within the Home as the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care requires that all required nursing be provided by the Home as part of its nursing and personal care package. However, in some circumstances families may be asked to or wish to purchase additional service beyond what is required. If you wish to do so, you may retain a "companion". You must advise the Home what activities you have retained him/her to do so that this can be entered in the plan of the care. Before retaining a companion", the applicant must complete a police Vulnerable sector and criminal reference check. Please find out how to do this from the Director of Resident Care. The Home will help you with this process.

Do families have a choice of physician when their family member enters the home?

Residents are assigned an attending physician at the time of admission, based on the workload of each physician and the Resident’s home area where the Resident will be residing. However, Residents may retain their own family physician from the community if the physician is willing to comply with the requirements of the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and sign an Attending Physician Agreement with the Home. Speak to the Director of Resident Care if you have questions.

Is there a registered nurse on staff 24 hours 7 days a week in the home?

Yes, the Long-Term Care Home has at least one registered nurse on staff 24 hours 365 days a year.

Can a resident choose to have a male or female staff person provide care?

Each classification of staff i.e. RN's or RPN's or PSW's have the same training. Assignments are established to promote continuity of care. However, if there are particular needs related to traditions or performance, speak with the Director of Resident Care and she will discuss options with you.

Is help available in the dining room at mealtime if my family member needs help with eating his/her meal?

The care team assesses the assistance that each Resident requires and develops an individualized plan of care, including the type of assistance and utensils the Resident may need.

Every mealtime is supervised by staff and staff and trained volunteers are assigned to assist as required. Family members are most welcome to assist as well.

What is the difference between a Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Practical Nurse (RPN), Personal Support Worker (PSW) and Health Care Aide (HCA)?

A Registered Nurse and a Registered Practical Nurse are professional nurses regulated under the College of Nurses of Ontario. Personal Support Workers are not nurses but have received education about the provision of personal care at the Community College (certificate) level. PSWs and HCAs are unregulated. Health Care Aide (HCA) is the former job title now designated as PSW.

Can I view my family members Health Records?

You may view the Resident’s personal health information if you have power of attorney (POA) for personal care or have been given consent by the Resident. The Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA) sets out rules for authorized and unauthorized access to personal health information. If you are authorized for access, you may view the records in the presence of the Charge Nurse, Nurse Manager or designated staff. You may not remove the health records from the Home. If you request a copy of a page or pages, please speak with the Director of Resident Care who will be able to explain the process of to you.

What are (Resident) care conferences?

(Resident) care conferences are meetings in which the interdisciplinary care team meets annually or on an as needed basis with the Resident and/or family to develop an individual plan for care and service and to evaluate the ongoing care and service that is being provided.

Who are the members of the Resident care team?

The Resident care team is comprised of representatives from the various disciplines in the Home, including: medicine, nursing, program services, food and nutrition, building services and administration. The Resident and family/substitute decision-maker are also members of the team.

What arrangement does the Home have for pharmacy services?

The Home has a contract with a community-based medical pharmacy to meet the medication needs of all Residents in the Home. The contracted pharmacy is required to comply with all requirements set out by the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care and the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc. The Pharmacist works closely with the Home’s Physicians and Registered Nursing staff.

The Ontario Drug Benefit plan covers the cost for most medications. On occasion, a Physician may order a medication or treatment that is not covered by this plan and the Resident would therefore incur the cost of these medications. Residents will incur the cost of a minimal dispensing fee monthly. Prescriptions are delivered once weekly to each Home Area. Should medication be required in an emergency, special delivery will be made.

Why do Residents Require a Photograph & ID Bracelet?

It is very important for each new Resident’s picture to be taken on the day of their admission to the Home. It allows staff to get to know a Resident sooner and it is a safety measure for such measures as fire safety, medication dispensing, therapeutic nutritional requirements, and elopement.

An identification bracelet is also prepared for every Resident. This bracelet must be worn at all times so that staff can confirm identity for administration of medication and in case of emergency situations.

Who is responsible for administering medications to residents?

Only Registered Nurses and Registered Practical Nurses are responsible for administering prescribed medications on a 24 hour basis. All medications are given and supervised by our Registered Staff, under the direction of the Resident’s Physician. Any questions regarding medications can be directed to the Registered Staff, Nurse Practitioner or Physician.

Assistive Devices


What are assistive devices?

An assistive device is any product or service that can help a person carry out daily activities with greater ease and independence. There are many assistive devices available on the market today including: communication aids, cognition aids, personal care aids, personal mobility aids and housekeeping aids.

Can I buy assistive devices from the Home?

The Home does not sell assistive devices. However the contracted pharmacy and local pharmacies and medical supply stores carry assistive devices and have professional staff to assist in assessing need and requirements.

Is there any financial assistance provided to purchase assistive devices?

If financial assistance is required to cover the expense of the assistive device, the Assistive Devices Program (ADP), through the Government of Ontario, Ministry of Health and Long Term Care may cover a portion of the cost depending on the item or equipment. Please speak to the Director of Program Support Services about the process.

What do communication aids do?

These devices assist with writing, reading, speaking, hearing, communicating on the telephone and watching television.

What are cognitive aids?

These are devices that help a person to remember or learn new things such as turn-on/turnoff timers, illustrative calendars, tape-recorded books and newspapers.

What are personal mobility aids?

These are devices to help with walking, transferring, turning, lifting and climbing stairs. Personal mobility aids also include walkers and wheelchairs. Battery powered scooters are not permitted for use by Residents in the Home.



Calendars of activities are printed each month for each home area so the Residents and families know what activities are taking place and are encouraged to attend. Calendars are posted throughout the Home and are delivered to each Resident room. They are also available on our website at Social Tea, Physio Stretch, Shopping Outings, Church Services and Communion (various denominations), movies, sing-alongs, and birthday parties are just a few of the many activities offered at the Home.

What types of programs and services are offered at the Home?

The Home offers dementia care, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, hair salon services, dental care, optometry, podiatry, massage, art and music therapy, volunteer programs, and spiritual and religious care among others.

How will my family member be able to participate in the programs and services offered by the Home if they are immobile?

Program Support staff plan one-to-one activities and/or take activities to Residents’ rooms if they are unable to participate in group activities. Also, staff and volunteers assist Residents in getting to the location of the activities if they are unable to get there on their own.

What is music therapy?

Music therapy is the skillful use of music and musical elements by an accredited Music Therapist to promote, maintain and restore mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health.

What is art therapy?

Art therapy provides a safe and structured setting to help Residents express thoughts or feelings in a verbal or non-verbal way.

How often would there be a recreational activity held outside the Home?

On average, the Home has a recreational activity planned outside the Home a few times a month using our wheelchair accessible bus.

Will my family member’s spiritual and/or religious care needs be accommodated?

The Home has a contracted Coordinator of Spiritual and Religious Care available to support Residents and families in meeting their spiritual and religious care needs. The Coordinator works with multi-faith community leaders to ensure that Residents' traditions and beliefs are respected.

What is the procedure when someone dies in a long-term care home? Are ministerial/funeral services provided or arranged?

The family is asked which funeral home the Resident or the family would prefer. Sometimes, families ask for the funeral or memorial services to take place at the Home and this request can usually be accommodated. The Home conducts a memorial service quarterly for recently departed Residents and invites all concerned families/ friends to participate.



How would I go about seeking a spot on the Family Council in the Home?

All Family Council meetings are open to all family members (defined as: two or more people, whether living together or apart, related by blood, marriage, adoption, partner or commitment to care for one another) to attend and there is no election or appointment process in order to join the Family Council. Any family member of a Resident living in the Home who wants to participate is welcome. Family representatives volunteer to meet regularly with the Director of Program Support & Volunteer Services acting as facilitator. On occasion, the Family Council meeting is open to all families and includes an educational forum with guest speakers on a topic of general interest. Family Council meetings dates and times are posted on the Family council bulletin board in the main lobby area of the Home.

Are the minutes of the Resident Council and Family Council posted/distributed for individuals to read and review?

Minutes of monthly Resident Council meetings are posted on each home area throughout the Home for easy access to read. Family Council minutes are currently not taken or kept by the Council.

When individuals raise a concern or issue at a meeting, do they get a timely response from staff?

The Home is required to report back to the Residents’ Council when a request to address an issue has been raised. This can be addressed through different avenues. When an issue is raised, the Department Head of that service area could be invited to a meeting to hear and address the issue/concern directly. If the Residents' Council request formal (written) follow-up, the CEO has a policy to respond to the Council in writing within a specified time period. At times, this will be a complete response. If more time is required for a comprehensive response, the Residents' Council will be informed. The same is practiced for the Family Council.



What kind of volunteering activities are available with the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc.?

Our volunteers assist staff with small and large group programs as well as individual programs on a one-to-one basis. Some of these services include reading to those who have impaired vision, assisting with writing letters and cards, visiting Residents on a regular basis, assisting during scheduled activity programs, bingo, musical activities, worship services, tuck shop, bazaars and teas to name just a few. Assistance at meal times is another area of need and volunteers who express interest receive additional training to support the Resident’s dining experience.

Can I complete my volunteer hours for school credit with the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc.?

Yes, we welcome students. Many of our active volunteers are youth.

Is there a minimum age requirement to volunteer with the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc.?

Individuals must be a minimum of 14 years of age. However, those younger than 14 are assessed individually and accepted if they are deemed to be mature and their parents sign a waiver to accept liability.

Will I be able to get a reference letter for volunteering?

Yes, reference letters will be given upon request to those who have fulfilled their agreed upon volunteer commitment, typically six months. Please provide adequate notice for required reference letters as they take time to prepare.

If I'm on Ontario Works can I volunteer?

Yes, individuals on Ontario Works may volunteer with the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc.

Can I volunteer if my spoken English is limited?

We welcome all potential volunteers. However, it helps to have a working knowledge of English and in some cases, the position responsibilities require advanced English. Please check with the Director of Program Support & Volunteer Services to discussed required skills.

Am I required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector and Criminal Reference Check from the police service where I reside if I want to volunteer?

Yes, anyone over the age of 18 will be required to have a police criminal reference check, vulnerable sector screen, conducted as the final step in the volunteer application process.

Do you have to be a resident of the City of Barrie to volunteer with the IOOF Homes?

There are no residency requirements for volunteers. However those with residency outside the City of Barrie will be required to obtain a Vulnerable Sector and Criminal Reference Check from the police service where they reside.

I have been ordered to complete community service hours for a crime I committed. Will the IOOF seniors Homes Inc. accept me as a volunteer?

Possibly depending upon the nature of the criminal offense and the conviction. The CEO and the Director of Program Support & Volunteer Services will assess each such application on an individual basis.



In what ways can I donate?

Gifts to the IOOF Seniors Homes Inc. can take several forms. Some of these include:

  • Memorial Donations

  • Pledges contributed monthly or over a number of years

  • Bequests to the Home

  • Gifts of cash or appreciated property

  • Gifts of life insurance

  • Gifts of securities

If I make a donation to a home, what methods of payment can I use?

You can make donations via cash, cheque or direct debit.

Can I choose what program or service I want my donation to go to in the home?

Yes, you may direct your donation within the Home. The choices include:

  • Long Term Care Home Capital Redevelopment

  • Programs & Services

  • General Donations

Will a tax receipt be issued for any cash donation to a home?

Yes, a tax receipt will be issued for any monetary donation over $20.00 for those donors that request a tax receipt.